The First Congress of Industrial Tourism Galicia and northern Portugal in Vigo presents the opportunities for economic and social development of the territory linked to industry, complemented with the experiences of the living industry in tourism, culture and museums
Archive for the ‘News’ Category
In 1785 Santiago Beaujardin, vice consul of France in the town of Ferrol, undertook the construction of a flour mill in Las Aceñas del Ponto, in the estuary of the river Freixeiro. His compatriot and partner, Juan Lembeye, Supply Commissioner of the Royal Armouries and director of the Royal Maritime Company, was in 1796 the sole proprietor. With its three mills and a milling capacity of over one thousand tons a year, there was grinded grain from Philadelphia, Bayonne, Bordeaux, London, Amsterdam, Hamburg and St. Petersburg, in response to strong demand from constantly growing population and even sending flour to Havana. In 1860 the mills were sold to Nicolas Fernandez and Jose Rodriguez, who took advantage of the recovery of the milling industry in the region because a new heyday in shipbuilding. This tide mill, the largest of the nine preserved in Galicia, closed its doors midway through the 1960s, and today unfortunately abandoned, walks to his ruin.
Juanatey´s Tanning Factory by the banks of the Traba river
It’s our pleasure to let know the agreement reached with the Foundation for the Fishing and Shellfishing (FUNDAMAR) to provide our collaboration to the project “Vigo pesqueiro” in search of a quality, complementary and non-seasonal touristic offer. FUNDAMAR (http://www.fundamar.org) was created in the year 2010 by the Port of Vigo Fishing Ship-owners’ Cooperative (ARVI), the Workers’ General Union (UGT-Galicia) and the Workers’ Commissions (CC.OO.-Galicia) and with the collaboration of the Vigo’s Local Government, the Pontevedra’s Provincial Government and the Galicia’s Regional Government.
An EU co-funded project under the COSME-programme aims to draw attention to the heritage of small-scale industrial enterprises, to (re)valuate their heritage significance and to increase understanding and appreciation by tourists and the general public.
Project partners are based in Italy, Spain, Hungary, Malta and Belgium, while E-FAITH (European Federation of Associations of Industrial and Technical Heritage) is offering its expertise and network to the project.
The following sectors have been identified as priorities for the first phase of the project:
• the traditional fermented drinks industry (beer, wine, cider,…) and the process of distilling strong spirits from these;
• clay processing industries (bricks, tiles, roof tiles – but also refractory bricks, pottery, drainage pipes, majolica,…);
• traditional textile crafts (weaving,..) and the production of traditional European textile fibres (e.g. flax, hemp)
The sites and museums that are included in the project will all receive a free INDUSTRIANA label. If you would like to be included in the list, please download and complete the questionnaire (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The courtesy and kindness of Mr Ignacio Oliveira offers some beautiful images taken during our last trip for the Industrial Route “Ría de Vigo”. You can enjoy more photographs in his FaceBook profile
Success on the first one fosters a second trip for the Industrial Route “Ría de Vigo”, coming next June 2nd of the current
According to data collected by Santiago Llovo Taboada in his splendid work, was built in 1909 in the Paseo del Cabo or Paseo de Bombe, in the town of Muros, in the salting warehouse there erected by Bentura Moreu Teixidor around 1870. The industrial activity ceased with the death of Joaquín Vieta in 1930. Between the summer of 1937 and 1938 it was used as a prison for more than three hundred prisoners from Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria, Basque Country and Madrid qualified as “Republicans”. Rented at the beginning of the 1940 decade to José Folgueira Rubido, neighbour of Ortigueira, and, in the second half of the same decade, to Ricardo Castro Rego, also of Ortigueira. In 1974, the old canning factory was purchased, modernized and put back into operation by Daniel Rodríguez Blanco, born in Carnota and Muros’ neighbour. Almost thirty years later, despite the efforts of his son, Daniel Rodríguez Otero, the factory of “Conservas Leocadia” cease its activity at the beginning of the year 2000. By 2012, the concession was rescued by the State, which decided its demolition to complete the expansion of the road Muros-Corcubión in that section. However, was only demolished the enlargement that Daniel Rodríguez made, being built instead a small sitting area and a viewpoint. The old canning factory of Vieta and his house they were saved and protected as heritage.