Joaquín Vieta Canning Factory

2016-04-03_Fábrica Daniel Rodríguez Blanco en Muros (Pepe Sacau, 2016)_DSC_6740

Fotografía de José Luis Sacau Fontenla no outono do ano 2015

According to data collected by Santiago Llovo Taboada in his splendid work, was built in 1909 in the Paseo del Cabo or Paseo de Bombe, in the town of Muros, in the salting warehouse there erected by Bentura Moreu Teixidor around 1870. The industrial activity ceased with the death of Joaquín Vieta in 1930. Between the summer of 1937 and 1938 it was used as a prison for more than three hundred prisoners from Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria, Basque Country and Madrid qualified as “Republicans”. Rented at the beginning of the 1940 decade to José Folgueira Rubido, neighbour of Ortigueira, and, in the second half of the same decade, to Ricardo Castro Rego, also of Ortigueira. In 1974, the old canning factory was purchased, modernized and put back into operation by Daniel Rodríguez Blanco, born in Carnota and Muros’ neighbour. Almost thirty years later, despite the efforts of his son, Daniel Rodríguez Otero, the factory of “Conservas Leocadia” cease its activity at the beginning of the year 2000. By 2012, the concession was rescued by the State, which decided its demolition to complete the expansion of the road Muros-Corcubión in that section. However, was only demolished the enlargement that Daniel Rodríguez made, being built instead a small sitting area and a viewpoint. The old canning factory of Vieta and his house they were saved and protected as heritage.

Author

Related

Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Post Reply